"Plato initiated our negative view of the written word by arguing that writing was merely an imitation of speech... while speech was an imitation of thought. Thus writing would be an imitation of an imitation."
Andrew Feenberg: The written world.

Tuesday, December 28

analysis of results (n=2!!)

The following quotes were taken from A-M's and Ava's wiki.

AMS: 21.12.04:
Here's where I confess - I don't like blogs. I like other people's, but I don't like my own. I don't keep diaries for the same reasons. I suppose I just don't feel comfortable with airing my mental 'dirty laundry' in public! I think a lot of it has to do with the Benfield article's suggestions about sounding silly.


Ava: 21.12.04 11pm
This is very interesting. I feel quite differently. I like the 'work in progress' form that the blog has. I like developing ideas and keeping track of where they came from. I like the assimilation and processing of the new info, or the discarding of it when you recognise that it's really not needed. For example in my first few blogs I did a lot of paniced reading on RSS feeds thinking that this was crucial. Pah. Crucial schmucial. And yet this info is sitting there for me if I should want to read it again.


I love blogs but A-M doesn't. I'd like to suggest that blogs suit me because, as per my results in the learning styles questionnaire, I am a reflective and sequential learner. I like to do things on my own, in little bits at a time. The blog is perfect for me.

A-M by comparison had a rating of '1' for reflective which meant she was neutral for active/reflective pair. She did have a reasonably strong global rating of '5'.

When you think about it it is exactly as you might expect isn't it? The bloggers are the ones who like to go away and work by themselves one step at a time. Someone who likes to work with other people and prefers to work from the outside in might not feel as comfortable with blogging.

It's interesting to note that I didn't like the wiki, because I don't like working in groups where it isn't clear what each person has contributed (I have this thing about 'owndership'!). With the wiki your contributions can be deleted, edited or moved. Argghh! I don't mind working in groups if we all do our own little thing and meld it together for submission.

In this page A-M said that she liked how you can "create a totally organic structure that evolves and grows and changes over time." about wikis. Whereas on this page about blogs I said something similar about blogs: "I like the 'work in progress' form that the blog has. I like developing ideas and keeping track of where they came from." Both of us like how our favoured tool let's us add things to it and it grows and changes. I like to have control over my tool though, whereas A-M is more willing to share. [Note: I've not used a wiki collaboratively before, so I don't have experience with it to draw from.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home