"Plato initiated our negative view of the written word by arguing that writing was merely an imitation of speech... while speech was an imitation of thought. Thus writing would be an imitation of an imitation."
Andrew Feenberg: The written world.

Tuesday, December 28

on 'working together'

In many ways this project was a total disaster. It started off really well though. I loved our topic, and we were both quick to set up our respective blogs, and A-M the wiki. She put up a couple of pages to get us started and I set myself up an account and tried it out and found it really easy to use. I wasn't that impressed with it, but it was easy to use, and that was significant for me.

Because I knew *nothing* about wikis prior to this, and because we were meant to compare wikis to blogs I thought I had better get my head down and do some background reading about them. I was happy to do this in the privacy of my blog. We had agreed to use the wiki as a discussion board and to keep an eye on each other's blogs. A-M was not able to post anything in her blog except the first entry, and then make a couple of contributions in the wiki.

I just kept on working away at my blog, building up a compendium of articles I'd read, and thoughts I'd had about the subjects I was researching. However given the lack of input from A-M (and not knowing when she was going to return) my research had no focus and went all over the place. I covered subjects as wide-ranging as RSS feeds, learning styles, lurking, wikis, blogs, discussion boards, online communication. They were each related to the previous post, but they did go off on a tangent. Our remit was to compare what was good about blogs with what was good about wikis. But I found myself have to define what 'good' was. And everything fed into everything else. As a result I went off on a couple of tangents that ended up being wastes of time. An example is the RSS feeds. I honestly read about 8 articles on this cos I thought it was a common element between blogs and wikis and that it was crucial that I understood it. I still don't understand it, except to know that it isn't crucial!

I was never completely certain how the wiki was to fit in, and I sort of resented doing my private thinking in my blog (which took time and effort), and then (potentially) put it up in a wiki to have the same conversation over again. However, had it worked, and had A-M been able to commit then I might well have different ideas on the subject.

I learnt a lot about myself in this project, about what works well for me, and about how I work with other people. I did also learn a lot about blogs, wikis, online communication, lurking, learning styles and various other things through my research. And I really enjoyed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home